To separate a mixture containing sand, salt, sawdust, and iron filings.
- Make your own mixture by weighing out samples of sand, salt, sawdust, and iron filings.
- Separate the mixture using laboratory techniques. Take advantage of differences in physical properties, such as density, solubility, magnetism, etc.
- Dry and mass the matter that you recover.
- Compare your recovered masses to the original masses.
- In your analysis, discuss what happened to the "lost" matter.
For filtration, use a BÃ¼chner funnel attached to a water aspirator:
For evaporation, use an evaporating dish over a Bunsen burner:
Last modified: Sunday, 3 June 2012, 1:19 AM