Determining the Velocity of a Steel Ball Using a Ballistic Pendulum
To measure the velocity of a steel ball using a ballistic pendulum.
The following video shows howÂ the ballistic pendulumÂ works:
- Set it up.
- Pull the lever back to one of the three positions.
- Press the trigger to release the lever.
- Record the angle of displacement of the pendulum block.
- Calculate the velocity of the steel ball based on the angle and the data given below.
Ballistic Pendulum Data
- Mass of steel ball:Â 7.5Â gÂ Â±Â 0.1Â g
- Mass of pendulum block:Â 80 g Â±Â 2Â g
- Length of pendulum:Â 200 mm Â±Â 2Â mm
Last modified: Sunday, 3 June 2012, 1:19 AM