Pressure in the Diet CokeTM & MentosTM Reaction
ObjectivePerform a series of experiments on the reaction between Diet CokeTM and MentosTM candies. Use the data to estimate what the pressureÂ would beÂ inside a sealed 2 L bottle of Diet CokeTM with 5 MentosTM mints.
- Prepare a set ofÂ bottle caps by drillingÂ holes of varying sizesÂ in the cap from a 2 L bottle of Diet Coke.
- Prepare strings of 5 MentosÂ by drilling a hole through them and tying them together with string. Leave about 3" of string to thread through the hole in the bottle cap.
- Assemble your Diet Coke/Mentos fountain.
- measure the height of the spray as a function of the diameter of the hole in the cap.
- You can measure the height by sighting a known height and the height of the spray with a ruler, andÂ then solvingÂ using a proportion.Â
Determine the pressure with no opening from a graph ofÂ pressure vs. diameter of the opening, extrapolating to an opening of 0 mm.Â An example with sample data is shown below:
Last modified: Sunday, 3 June 2012, 1:19 AM