Determining the Velocity of a Steel Ball Using a Ballistic Pendulum
To measure the velocity of a steel ball using a ballistic pendulum.
The following video shows how the ballistic pendulum works:
- Set it up.
- Pull the lever back to one of the three positions.
- Press the trigger to release the lever.
- Record the angle of displacement of the pendulum block.
- Calculate the velocity of the steel ball based on the angle and the data given below.
Ballistic Pendulum Data
- Mass of steel ball: 7.5g ± 0.1 g
- Mass of pendulum block: 80 g ± 2 g
- Length of pendulum: 200 mm ± 2 mm
Last modified: Monday, 1 December 2014, 11:45 AM