Aluminum Foil Boats
- Make a boat out of aluminum foil.
- Find the mass of your boat on a balance.
- Place your boat in a sink filled with water.
- Add mass, a little at a time, until the boat sinks.
- Add up the total mass (in grams) that was inside the boat before it sank. (I.e., add all of the masses except for the last one that caused it to sink.)
The boat with the highest ratio of mass carried to mass of the boat itself is the winner.
- Hexagonal masses are labeled in grams. Use the numbers directly.
- Round masses are labeled in ounces. 1 oz. = 28.3 g
- The marbles have a mass of 3.8 g each.
Last modified: Sunday, 3 June 2012, 1:19 AM